Short on time, tools, resources or funds? There are loads of ways to pull together a fresh-faced beauty look with whatever you have to hand. Just because you’re a mum doesn’t mean you can’t wear makeup if you fancy! Read on for ten beauty tips every busy woman and mother should have in her repertoire.
1. Long day at work, or up all night with the little ones? Slapping concealer all over your undereye bags? Stop right there. Only apply to actual shadow for a far more nature, far more wide-awake look
2. Ripped your tights but in a rush to leave the house? Before you take off your whole bottom half to put on a new pair, just dab a little clear nail polish onto the ladder. This will help it hold in place until you can change them later.
3. Heading out to run around the block with the dog, or take the kids to the park? Beat shine by always having a pressed powder to hand, like these from Ben Nye. Just three or four seconds sweeping powder over your T-Zone will help soak up oils and sweat.
4. Don’t splash out on lip scrubs! You can get just the same effect by using your toothbrush. Whenever you brush your teeth, take a few moments at the end to gently brush any dry, dead skin of your lips. You can even mix your own little pot of homemade scrub. Just combine coconut oil and brown sugar together, or make up your own recipe! Coconut oil is also great for whitening your teeth you can do it the old fashioned, messy way or opt for a quick, modern fix with these whitening strips.
5. Need to glam up a bit but only have the basics? Vaseline is a wonder tool. Apply to your lips, of course, but then smooth a little over brows to tame them. Pinch your cheeks like the Hollywood starlets used to, and then swipe a little Vaseline over the cheekbones. This will give an instant highlighter effect. You can see seven ways to use this little tub of miracles here.
6. Second-day hair look limp? No dry shampoo to hand? Talc powder works just as well, just be sure to rub it in well!
7. Can’t find your makeup brush for your lips or eyes anywhere? Raid your kid’s colouring box. A small paint brush will work fine for the time being. Just be sure to replace it before they notice!
8. Got a full face of makeup but just want to get some sleep? Give the removal routine a miss for one night only. A dab of baby oil on a cotton pad will do until the morning.
9. Want to build up some amazing eyeshadow colour for a special occasion but don’t have time to keep layering it up? Use white eyeliner. It really makes the colour pop. This goes for white nail polish as a base makes top coat colours brighter, and for white mascara under coloured mascara too.
10. Learn how to use scarves in your hair. The result will be quick, pretty and will keep your hair off your face. It will also help cover up any greying or greasy roots on those particularly manic days. There is a handy guide to a few ideas over on Buzzfeed.