Skip to main content

The Dangers of Asbestos in Homes and Appliances


Although asbestos hasn’t been used in decades to build homes and in the construction of most major appliances, the unfortunate fact is that millions of families in the United States live in older homes that was constructed during a time in which asbestos was heavily used. Years of research and studies performed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) concluded that asbestos, a naturally-occurring mineral, was the direct cause of extremely dangerous diseases such as malignant mesothelioma and asbestosis. Many asbestos victims have filed mesothelioma lawsuits against asbestos companies due to the devastating effects of asbestos on their health.

If you and your family live in an older home and/or have older appliances in the home, it’s important to understand just how hazardous asbestos is and what you can do to protect yourself and loved ones.

What is Asbestos and Why Was it Used?:

According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), asbestos is a group of six minerals that’s found naturally in mines and under large boulders. It has a strong resistance to heat and fire, and therefore was once used extensively in products, equipment, and buildings. In the late 1970s, after many upheavals, the EPA regulated asbestos after it was found that the mineral’s fine fibers can easily be inhaled. Once ingested, these fibers will eventually wreak havoc inside the body and they are almost impossible to remove. When asbestos fibers stay in the body for too long, people risk developing life-threatening diseases.

Even though asbestos was banned from most job sites and products, anything previously built with asbestos, such as homes and appliances, were not demolished. As a result, there are arrays of older homes, built with asbestos, that are still occupied to this day, as well as a multitude of appliances.

Before Your Repair or Renovate Your Home

If you live in a home that was built prior to the early 1980s, do not do any repairs until a state-certified, qualified asbestos technician can inspect your home. Asbestos is not visible to the naked eye, and most states require a thorough inspection by a qualified technician before you can make any renovations on a home that contains asbestos.

For older appliances, be certain that children never play anywhere near the area. Asbestos is typically safe unless it’s disturbed. Even doing small repairs on appliances that contain asbestos may disturb the fibers. This also goes for old shed and/or abandoned buildings. Make sure your kids know to never play around these structures as there is a chance they may ingest airborne asbestos fibers. 

Remember, if you have any doubts at all as to whether your home or any appliances contain asbestos, it’s best to not take the chances of disturbing the fibers. Instead, seek qualified help in order to ensure that your family stays safe.


Guest post contributed by R. Walker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reunion At Museum Restaurant At Starling Mall

CLASSMATES REUNION... but not from my year.  i just tagged along with my sister who wanted my company that evening.  She was going to meet up with some of her classmates at The Starling mall.  I did not want to drive there, taking Grab is a much easier and practical choice, considering it was rush hour in the evening.  Furthermore, I am not familiar with the roads... both of us might panic on the federal highway.  LOL... 
Having someone to take us there is so stress free, we only have to pay RM20 for the ride.  :)  Our first time to Startling Mall and being made familiar by one of the bloggers, Phong Hong who used to post up her lunch meals taken from there.  We were supposed to meet up at 7pm but we reached there an hour earlier to "survey" the shops and ended up buying a "bit."  Blame it on my sister who always like to give positive comments most of the time!   The dinner was held at The Museum.... Originated from Ipoh actually and how there is a branch here in …

Getaway Weekday Trip To Cameron Highlands

UPHILL....

It has been two years since I last made an overnight trip to Cameron Highlands.  It was an impromptu trip, we only talked about it a couple of nights and the next day, all was arranged and done.  My friend rented the apartment from her niece, for two nights, we got a good deal, each of us only paid RM50 for a two nights stay.  Of course, it was an off peak season, otherwise we could not get the good deal offer.  LOL.... My friends planned everything from A to Z, they even went marketing to buy all the food stuff needed, pre-cooked some to take up for our steamboat dinner in the evening.  The weather was very cooling and nice, we had to wear our jackets especially in the evenings and mornings. 

Started off our journey by eating something light from Ipoh cos we have planned to take something good for lunch in Tringkap.  On the way, we stopped at a place called Green View Garden for some desserts before proceeding for our lunch.  Hmmmm... desserts before main meal?
Our fir…

Gathering At Top Grade Hot Soup, Ipoh

HOT SOUP ON RAINY DAYS... Yes, nowadays it pours, almost every day and in the late afternoon.  So cooling that I do not need to switch on the air con these days.  For cooling days, it is best to drink hot soup but do not land into one, okay?  LOL.. 
A few of my classmates planned an evening out at Top Grade restaurant at Festival Walk area.  I did not know that Ipoh has a branch, my first time was taken in Penang.  The boss told us that they have a branch in Ipoh, that sounds great!  I like their soup cooked with coconut water, the sweet taste is there... but funny, I don't know it is me or the soup, I still find the one I ordered in Penang is much nicer than this Ipoh branch.  I tried two times in Ipoh, my verdict?  The soup is still better in Penang.. okay, Penang wins!  The coconut soup base looks like this.....  Consisting of chicken, pig stomach, chestnuts, corn, red dates...  It cost RM58 since I am a member.. otherwise it is RM78... Others are add-ons...  And the soup gang…